I’ve mentioned before that I am working towards my Masters in Dietetics and this semester I am taking a great, super informative nutrition course! One of our recent discussions involved Superfoods which got me thinking about more superfoods that I can incorporate into my diet. I read this article about the top superfoods so the theme of this week was just trying to fit in as many of these foods as I can into this week’s meal prep. These superfoods are packed with nutrients and phytochemicals to fight illness and aging and keep you happy and healthy!
The superfoods that I incorporated this week are: watercress, spinach, kale, red pepper, broccoli, brussels sprouts, tomatoes, orange and califlower. *In the interests of full disclosure, the orange was used in brunch mimosas but it still counts!*
- Mini Quiche – This recipe was really easy which was nice. I made a double batch and froze them. Each morning just give them a quick reheat and they taste fresh! You can put whatever you want into these so in my quest for superfoods I added sauteed red pepper, mushroom, onion, spinach and basil. For good measure I threw in some nooch and wheat germ too!
- Cold Pasta Salad – This was a really light and refreshing salad. The only changes that I recommend are using whole wheat noodles instead. They are way better for you and they hold up better over the course of the week.
- Kale Chips – Instead of salt I used garlic salt and a little cayenne pepper. Yumm!
- Watercress Cauliflower Soup – I found this recipe and was super excited to find something incorporating watercress AND cauliflower! I had no idea until I started researching this what a nutritional powerhouse watercress is! It is absolutely loaded with nutrients and is a seriously underutilized veggie. Just use vegan butter and vegetable broth to veganize this recipe.
- *IMPORTANT NOTE* This soup smells terrible when it is cold!!! When you reheat it, it smells fine and tastes great but when it is cold it is seriously stinky! Don’t say I didn’t warn you!!!
- Baby Carrots and Hummus
For an extra dose of cuteness, we took Jane to the Howell Melon Festival this weekend….