Since we were on vacation last week and splurged a bit, this week I tried to make some inexpensive meals to even out the budget. As any vegan will tell you, anytime you need to save some cash….beans and rice! It is the perfect meal; delicious, cheap, easy to prep, nutritionally complete and did I mention delicious?! This week we got breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks for 2 people for $60. Not bad!
- Chia Seed Doughnuts from Oh She Glows – Since I don’t own a doughnut pan these became chia seed muffins but just as tasty! I also didn’t make the whipped topping for them and opted instead for raspberry jam. These will make your kitchen smell fantastic by the way! You can’t go wrong baking maple syrup, vanilla and cinnamon!
- Chickpea Noodle Salad – I created this cold pasta salad based on the tuna noodle salad that my mom always makes in the summer. It was so yummy and refreshing on hot days and I missed it once we went vegan. It just isn’t the same without the tuna or so I thought! A few weeks back I discovered that mashed chickpeas can be used interchangeably with canned tuna and it changed everything!
- Combine everything and chill
- 1 box whole wheat large shell noodles. Cooked, drained and rinsed
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced small
- 5 ribs celery, diced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and mashed by hand
- Vegan Ranch Dressing (Recipe below)
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- I used Hampton Creek Just Mayo to support them this week. If you haven’t read about their fight with the USDA, read it here. Super interesting stuff!
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp dill
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup plant based milk (anything not sweetened, I used original Almond Milk)
- Black Bean and Rice Burritos with Salad
- Season your beans however you prefer but I like oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic salt, cayenne pepper and onion powder. And I usually add a little blackening seasoning (I put that on pretty much everything!). I cook down some diced onions and garlic before adding the beans also to add some great flavor.
- Glo Bars – This is another gem from the Oh She Glows cookbook and I think they have ruined any other granola bar for me! They are so easy and tasty that I will never be satisfied with gross store bought ones again! The only change I made was that I couldn’t find brown rice syrup so I substituted a mix of agave nectar and maple syrup.