One of the greatest things about going vegan is all of the new foods that you will grow to know and love! I have tried so many new foods in my years as a vegan that I never would have touched before that now I LOVE and consider some of my favorite foods! In this spirit of branching out I went with a round the world theme this week by having an Asian breakfast, Mexican lunch and Italian dinner. Happy Travels!
Sweet Breakfast Rice – I was reading that many Asian countries eat rice for breakfast so I made a sweet porridge type breakfast rice in the crock pot. I think you could probably make this lots of different ways but I just threw all the ingredients in the crock pot on low for about 4 hours until the liquid was absorbed by the rice. Top with fresh fruit and berries and reheat with a little almond milk each day.
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups almond milk
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 TBS agave nectar
- 1 TSP cinnamon
- 1 TSP nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 TBS vanilla
- I also had some random chocolate cinnamon toast spice that I had from Whole Foods that I threw in there for some extra flavor too! Not necessary but a good added bonus!
- Enchiladas and Mexican Rice
- For the rice I sauteed a diced onion then added 2 cans of tomato sauce, salt, pepper, cumin, garlic salt, oregano, chili pepper to taste and cooked rice
- The enchiladas are topped with the rest of the homemade enchilada sauce and cilantro (and yes, I am well aware that my enchilada folding skills are terrible! It is the taste that counts!!!)
- Zuppa Vegana – I wish I could take credit for it but the lady who blogged this soup recipe came up with the super cute name! I also had some leftover homemade bread that I had frozen to complete this rustic, tasty dinner!
Enjoy your culinary journey around the world and hopefully it will inspire you to try some new foods and some new cultures of cuisine!
Lastly, I saw this picture today and it made my whole day because it is so true! No matter how bad my day might be I always get to end it snuggled up in bed with a sweet little beagle (and usually 2 cats and a husband also!). Life can’t be too bad when you get to end your day that way! <3<3<3